A probate attorney is a state-licensed lawyer who understands the correct methods to advice personal representatives or executors and also the beneficiaries of an estate, the proper way to settle all final affairs of the deceased person. Nobody wants to think about death, will, and not even the probate process. However, we have to admit that at some point in our lives, we have to face this.
TOP 5 Reasons That You Need A Probate Attorney
No matter what your specific involvement with a probate process is, it is important that you know how to handle things. There will be instances that you will need an expert assistance of a probate attorney. If you want to know what these are, let’s go ahead and find out.
- Drafting A Will. A DIY Will might sound interesting, but it would be better if you have a professional draft your Last Will and Testament. This is the best way to ensure that the Will have everything that you need. This will also reduce the chance that the court will declare the document invalid.
- Reduce Family Conflict. Probate process usually results from or end with a family conflict. This happens when other heirs feel that the terms are less favorable compared to what they have. A probate attorney would be able to help reduce these family tensions and lead a smoother probate process to settle the estate.
- Protect The Estate Against Legal Claim. Legal claims happen. From Will contests to creditor claims. The probate process is the reason why many would want to take advantage of the death of the testator. If you have a probate attorney, you would be able to gain protection to make sure that the decedent’s wishes are respected.
- Lawyers Can Answer Probate Questions. If you are an executor or an heir, the probate attorney would be able to help answer your probate questions. The probate process can be confusing especially for everyone involved. The attorney can help you understand the process and can advice you on what to expect.
- Help Simplify The Probate Process. A complicated legal process is the last thing that anyone would want to go through after a loved one passed away. Debts must be settled and assets must be passed on accordingly. With a good probate attorney, there’s no more need to endure the stress.
Why Hire A Probate Attorney?
A probate attorney or an estate attorney is the one responsible for taking the personal representative through the probate process. And yes, that’s from start to finish. The steps involved in the probate process will depend on the probate laws of the state. The required steps to go through will also differ. It can be very confusing especially if you don’t have any knowledge about the process.
This is the reason why it is important that you have an experienced probate attorney by your side all throughout this process. When it comes to the estate, there are things that we can’t do on our own. Nothing says that you must retain an attorney to help with the executor duties. But there are also important legal matters that only a probate attorney would be able to help you handle.